Kneesocks

Kneesocks

I was Kneesocks from the Anime Panty and Stocking with one of my friends, Pepperbots, at acen this year. We had one crazy day on Saturday finally getting on all of our makeup and cloths on and arriving late to our judging at 2. It was a busy day and even while trying to practice poses for the masquerade we had people wanting to take pictures 🙂 It was a lot of fun and I had a bunch of people asking how I made my costume. I really enjoy sparking peoples interests and teaching them new techniques so I’ll explain how I made my costume here!
Jacket: I took a double breasted pattern off of burda’s website and it had minimal instructions and no seam allowances. Talk about a pain in my a**. Since I have never sewn anything as complicated as this I had to look up how to do arm holes and the darn lapeled collar. Do not do a lapeled collar with a collar stand if you can help it. I couldn’t work the fabric very well but it ended up looking great! Just DIFFICULT. Arm holes were pretty much a breeze and I found a great website that showed how to attach the lining and bottom in a nice clean way.
Skirt: The skirt was a simple skirt pattern and even though I have never done a skirt before it was easy peesy.

Arm Band: My partner Pepperbots made this for me with iron on adhesive fabric so it would look exactly like hers!

Wig: The wig was a powder blue jeannie from Arda. My partner had already cut the bangs for this wig when I got it but I styled the front with some hairspray, got2be and tacky glue to make sure it stayed put. For the pony tail I cut each section I wanted to the right length, took some bulk out and teased it from the bottom. I then glued the ends with got2be and used lots of hairspray!

Scythes: The scythes were made with a dowel rod, model magic, and insulation foam. I traced out a design and cut the foam with my friends band saw (scary!). I then sanded the edges down so they were graduated. I put model magic on the bottom for the decoration and on the bottom of the foam to make it clean. I then primed it spray painted it black, painted gold on and then a clear coat. I would have painted the gold on first if I did it again. I also plan on remaking this as it has somehow got bubbles under the paint.

Makeup: We used mehron facepaint. It’s a water base paint that we sponged on. We used a hairdryer on cool mode to help the paint dry quickly. I used some eyeshadow powder which I mixed with water to get a thicker application. I got some fake eyelashes and feather eyelashes from a random website and cut them to get the one long eyelash at the end. I put a little tacky glue mixed with water on it to get it to stay together and straight. We used red lipstick with a gloss coat and lip liner underneath.

Skills

Posted on

June 24, 2014

By